Here's what's included in the top-line categories of government spending. You can also drill down here to look at examples.
- Pensions: Social Security and government pensions.
- Health Care: Medicare and Medicaid, public health, medical research.
- Education: Education, K-12 thru university.
- Defense: Pentagon, veterans, State Department, foreign aid.
- Welfare: Cash welfare, food stamps, unemployment benefits, workers comp, housing (but not Medicaid).
- Protection: Police, fire, courts, prisons.
- Transportation: Highways and mass transit.
- General Government: executive, legislative, finance, general services.
- Other Spending: Research, economic development, agriculture, energy, environment.